The current v3 of Cleaner10 launching with this site has been about three years in the making. Version 1 was very rough, ugly in comparison and I just had it as a file on my personal site. Eventually I revised it into v2 which was pretty much a complete rewrite and worked much better, faster and simpler. The new v3 is another rewrite of v2 and adds even more functionality while being even more hands-off.
I originally created the script to make it easier for me to deploy computers at my office after I reinstalled Windows 10 on them. I expanded upon it to do things I've done on my personal computer so that if I needed to, I could reprovision it in an hour or so, instead of a day.
- Can I run this script on a Windows 10 or Windows Server install that is old?
- Technically, yes, but I've not tested it. Because of the amount of changes that occur during the lifetime of a Windows 10 or Windows Server install, its possible that the script may cause problems. You're welcome to try it at your own risk. Ideally, the script is best used after a fresh install of Windows 10 or Windows Server.
- Some of the services I have are not connecting after running the script.
- This is usually caused if you've selected SSL/TLS settings that are stricter than the default. From experience I've noticed that gaming services seem to fail when the SSL/TLS settings are set too high.
- Are you going to hack me when I run this script?
- No, because I have no interest in your stuff. I made this tool to help me deploy new installations of Windows 10 easier and I'm simply sharing it with the rest of the world. You can always look at the source code after you've downloaded it to make sure yourself.
- Can you add additional features or software installers?
- Yes! Open an issue on GitHub and let me know what you're looking for. If it's a feature that fits with the script or software that has a friendly installer (scriptable and/or silent) then I'll include it.
- The software installed is out of date.
- I try to keep up with the version updates of the software installers, but I can't always be on top of it. If you find that an out of date version is being installed, please open a GitHub issue and let me know.
- Installing SQL Server Management Studio?
- Make sure you disable ARITHABORT in SSMS or you'll find yourself (like I did) trying to figure out why debugging a query in it performs differently than in your app. For more information please read Erland Sommarskog's Slow in the Application, Fast in SSMS? Understanding Performance Mysteries.